Concealed Handgun License - Initial (One Day) Class
Effective September 1, 2013, the Texas Concealed Handgun License Class is a Four Hour Class, not including RANGE TIME. Our class will be approximately Five hours with range time.
The Academy at DFW Gun offers 2 convenient ways to complete the training requirements to receive a license to carry a concealed handgun from the Texas Department of Public Safety. We offer this one day class, and an evening class on Thursday nights. Upon successful completion of the class and submission of the application materials, the state will issue you a license as soon as 60 days, assuming there is no legal disqualification. Our CHL class package includes the following:
- Training by a DPS certified instructor
- Qualify in house on our DPS approved range (indoor, safe, clean, and climate controlled)
- Application Preparation Assistance
- Handgun (if none available by student) for use during range qualification
- Safety glasses, and hearing protection for use during range qualification
Note: In accordance with the State of Texas as of March 1, 2011, all fingerprints must now be done electronically through an L1 finger printing location. We will also be referring students to L1 for their passport photos.
- Concealed carry law
- Where you can carry and where you cannot
- When you can use force or deadly force
- Legal implications of use of force or deadly force
- Texas weapons laws
- Nonviolent dispute resolution
- Firearms safety
If you have further questions, please call at 214-630-4866 or check out the Department of Public Safety’s website at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm.
Handgun gun, 50 rounds of ammunition, safety glasses, and hearing protection for use during range qualification. It is no longer required to have your application packet before you begin class. If you do not have your Application Packet, we have them available.
_The CHL course is presented as the minimum necessary to meet the regulatory requirements of the Texas Concealed Handgun Law; there are many significant topics related to concealed carry and personal self-defense which remain uncovered, and you are strongly encouraged to continue to explore these areas on your own.
This course is not a “how-to-shoot” class. It is expected that the student has already achieved a minimum safe level of proficiency with their handgun, including loading, unloading, slide or cylinder manipulation, proper use of safety devices ,and operational controls. During the proficiency test, students will be expected to be safe while handling their firearms which is part of the test. Students who cannot meet these standards will fail the proficiency test and will need to retest at later date. Prospective students who have little handgun experience are encouraged to visit the range prior to class and take a 20 Minute Training Class or schedule an Introduction to Handguns 2-1/2 hour personal instruction class.
There are 15 classes scheduled for this course. Choose a scheduled class time below to continue:
- April 30, 2015 04:30 PM Register
- May 02, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 03, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 07, 2015 04:30 PM Register
- May 09, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 10, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 14, 2015 04:30 PM Register
- May 16, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 17, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 21, 2015 04:30 PM Register
- May 23, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 24, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 28, 2015 04:30 PM Register
- May 30, 2015 09:00 AM Register
- May 31, 2015 09:00 AM Register